Saturday, September 22, 2007

September 22, 1964

You can write us at this address Mrs. James P. Ryan
c/o Silvahof Apt Hotel
Bern, Switzerland

Tues. Sept 22, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

I guess today was my lucky day. Last night it was Mary Beth’s turn to be awake and Patricia still hasn’t got her nights and days straight either. I found out today from several people it takes a good two weeks for the children to adjust to that 6 hr change. We were trying to figure out last night how we were going to get some shopping done for groceries and dishes etc so we could start eating at home. The way the day is here it is very difficult. School and Jim’s work start at 8:30. He walks them to school and then goes to work. At noon he picks them up and they all walk home. He has to be back at 1:45 and they go back at 2 P.M. School lets out at 4:P.M. and Jim finishes at 5:45. The stores all close at 6:30. So it is hard to shop after work. The whole town is very still at 9:P.M. I also got to thinking last night that I hadn’t even brought a catechism for the children. So it was all pretty dismal. This afternoon I walked the kids back to school at 2:P.M. so I could stop and buy some groceries on the way home. Jim was going to get off from work early and I was going to meet him at a big dept store downtown recommended by one of the men at work. It was quite a climb to school. It’s not a far walk but here you’re either walking uphill or downhill and school is uphill all the way. We made it to school on time and I was starting back when a Mrs. Bell who lives in the Silvahof offered me a ride back with P. and MB. I quickly accepted and we got acquainted. In short she took me to the supermarket and I was able to get a lot more things home in the car. She was very nice and helpful and offered to go with me tomorrow to show me where I can get milk and eggs near here.

I found out today also that the Catholic school children have religion classes right at school at 4-4:45 on Tues. So that was a real break! I went up to meet the children at 4:45 and found Kenny and Jimmy busily talking to a Mrs. Lawrence. They had forgotten to stay for religion class. Mrs. Lawrence introduced herself. I had met her children also as they are also staying here and she is the one who sent me the note about the catechism classes. She is lovely person. Looks about 35 – has natural red hair and talks kind of like Joyce Wood. She has nine children. Four of them commute by train daily to Fribourg to the Catholic High School there and four of them go to the English speaking school. One is still at home. She quickly offered to babysit with the children so I could do my shopping. I met several other ladies there. One a Mrs. French has been here 4 ½ years. She drove Mrs. Lawrence and her five children and my four (Jimmy went with me) and Mrs. French’s five children in her car and my stroller was walked home by a couple of the older children because they and the stroller didn’t fit in the car.

It was about seven P.M. when Jim and I and Jimmy picked up the children and P. was sitting on the table with all the Lawrence family eating her rice with a big bib on like she was one of the family. Mrs. Lawrence said she had asked the others to eat but they didn’t and I was glad they hadn’t as I felt I had imposed enough on her. She also offered to go shopping with me tomorrow. They have been here about a month now.

We came home and had hamburgers and Uncle Ben’s rice and the kids did their homework and went to bed. Both of the women tell me it takes a good two weeks to adjust to the time change.

Kenny did not have a happy day at school. His first day and he was pretty confused as the others are all ahead of him. His teacher is a Englishwoman and she said “We’ll give him a fortnight and see how he does.” Barbara’s teacher is a Scottish woman Miss MacKenzie and Jimmy’s is an Englishwoman Miss Carter. I think there are about 10 children in each of their classrooms.

Sat. we hope to go apt. hunting, although all these other people I’ve mentioned are also apt hunting with no success. The hotel is very comfortable but expensive.

Will write more tomorrow.

Love Jim and Dina

(p.s. send this one on to Jim’s mother)

No comments: