Tuesday, September 25, 2007

September 25, 1964

September 25, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today is a glorious fall day just like one in St. Louis. It seems hard to believe we are here only a week today. It seems as though we have been gone about 10 years. We didn’t do too badly in one week as we have a schedule going.
AT 7:A.M. we get up . The children ride to school with the Bell children. Sherry is a fifth grader in Barbara’s room and they have played Barbie Doll together and done their homework together. Kevin Bell is in 2nd grade with Jimmy . Jim leaves for work around 8:00 also. He takes a bus and streetcar and gets there in 20 minutes. Around 8:30 Francisca comes and makes the beds (the children have never had such nice bedding before – a big soft pillow – nice sheets and a wool blanket and on every bed even Patricia’s crib is a soft warm down comfort.) She dusts and vacuums a little & cleans up the bathroom. Meanwhile I dress the little ones and do the breakfast dishes and wash out some underwear. Then we take our stroll to the bakery and milk store and meat market. Most of them also deliver but until the weather gets bad I’d rather take the kids out for a little walk. By that time it’s time to come back around 12:10 and Jim gets home at 12:30. I try to feed Patricia first now so she can take an early nap. Today while Patricia is sleeping I washed my hair and my ironing board was just delivered so I guess I should get to work now. By four o’clock the children are back and they play out in the yard or go over to the playground. Yesterday B said that the children were trying to talk to them at the park. Jimmy said “did it sound like French or German?” Kenny said “I think it was jabber.”

Jim gets home about 6:15 and we eat right away as this doesn’t give us much time to do homework, baths and dishes. I have been setting the table right after I do the dishes as it makes it easier at meal time and also eliminates everybody throwing their coats, books, pipes, keys etc on top of the table. Sat. we are going to do some shopping for the kids, book satchels and slippers. They must change their shoes and wear slippers at school. Sunday we hope to do some sightseeing as we haven’t seen anything yet. Things have gone very well for us so far and I hope we can find an apartment soon. The people at work have been very helpful to Jim. Went with him everywhere to buy and register etc. Also composed an ad for the paper for the apartment. We hope to hear from you soon. We are wondering how you are and hope that cleaning up the house wasn’t too much work for you.

Patricia has certainly got a good memory. The first few nights we were here she would wake up at night. She said to me “ ‘ere’s wela?” When we ask her “Where’s Abuela?” now she says “I don’t know.” or “Back home.” Last night when I was writing a letter to Jim’s mother she said “what you doin?” and I answered “writing a letter.” She said “to Wela?” Now how she knew I had been writing to you before I don’t know but she really knows and hears more than you can imagine. After prayers at meal last night she said “bess the cook!” Jim and I were amazed as we haven’t said that for weeks. In the morning when she wakes up now she says “ere’s Daddy?” and she is getting very friendly with him now.

Jackie Lawrence has been very nice to use also. They are here with the American Embassy. All her children are like the Pickler family – all very neat and dressed very cute with shinning well kept tresses. She is very calm and sweet. Reminds me a lot of Joyce Wood. Francisca says her apartments “es un disaster.” With clothes all over the place but she says it’s the three teen-age girls who have their rooms a mess. Anyway Mrs. Lawrence has been taking Mary Beth with her when she takes her two little girls for a walk – while P is sleeping and you know how MB lover to be with other little girls.

Wednesday was allowance day and they all got a handful of money. However one penny Bazooka bubble gum will cost them 10 centimes so it won’t last long.
Well P is up now and I think I will not waste such a beautiful day indoors. I will write more later.

Write soon,
Love to all,
Jim and Dina

No comments: