Sunday, September 30, 2007

September 30, 1964

September 30, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

When I look at the date I can’t believe the month is over already. I think I will get started on these postcards this afternoon. Today is a lovely day. Jimmy and Kenny have Wednesday afternoon off from school so they are out in the backyard playing with Mary Beth. This is a break for me as MB always wants to be playing with little Ellen Lawrence and the two of them are ok but when the 5 year old Ann Lawrence comes along – she’s a dickens! Now she is happy playing with the boys while P sleeps.

Jimmy and Barbara are both doing very nice work in school. Yesterday Jimmy had to memorize a poem about autumn and his printing is much improved because the teacher is very strict about it. Barbara’s work is very good too in English and Spelling – tomorrow she has to bring in a news item about Kennedy. She has also started history – they are studying Columbus now. When I went up to school yesterday after instructions I met another woman with the Embassy. I told her how pleased I was with the school but she said I wouldn’t have been last year. The principal didn’t have much discipline and it was a mess. This year they have a new principal and he is very strict but the kids like him very much.

Today Mrs. Bell took me to the supermarket with her again. I stocked up on plenty of staples taking advantage of the car ride.

Jim had a letter from the VW people and the car will be delayed another two weeks. We weren’t too happy with that news as we would like the car for apt. hunting also. He did talk to the VW people here about renting one for a day so we can get around better.

Today Kenny decided he didn’t want to go to school and he threw a royal fit as only he can. We pushed him out the door but soon B came back saying he wouldn’t go out the main door. Jim said “All right. I’ll go!” B came running back again saying “Don’t come Daddy! He’ll go, He’ll go.” He came home smiling and happy so I’m sure it’s normal routine for the first month or so.

P is talking quite a lot now. She says whole sentences like “Don’t pick me up!” The Asturian girls think she is a riot the way she knows all her part of the body in Spanish. They call her “La Gitana.” They like Kenny real well too – his name is “El Simpatico.”

Today Francisca did not come in to make the beds but a new maid. I think she is Italian. I hope Francisca comes in tonight as I enjoy talking with her and I have some more stamps for her. Jim’s friend Steve Keating sent him letter from El Salvador.

Well I hope you will write again soon as one lives for mail so far away. I am still feeling homesick but I am grateful all of us are well and things have gone so well.

Regards to all

Love
Jim and Dina

P.S. Just as I finished this Mrs. Lawrence came by to take the 3 children with her three to the Zoo. So you see everyone has been so kind. Now I will start on those cards with everyone gone.
D.

No comments: