Sunday, October 14, 2007

October 14, 1964

Oct 14, 1964

We have had a busy day today and that is why I didn’t get a letter mailed to you today. We moved last night and got settled in our new beds. The kids enjoyed it all very much – especially eating in the kitchen because they have a counter and stools to sit on. This morning I unpacked some clothes and we took a walk to the store. A very quaint looking village with a church steeple and clock towering over all the Swiss Chalets. I kept expecting everybody to break in to song – the whole setting is so operatta-like. Luckily even in this small town I found some shop girls who spoke English very well. Jim and the kids got home for lunch in ten minutes so we are not too far out. I went back with Jim after lunch - He and I went to the U.S. Embassy to vote – so we are all set now to be counted as absentee ballots. Remember the absentee ballots changed the vote in Calif. In ’60. We did some grocery shopping and then Jim dropped Barb and I at the Doctor. He said B. was doing fine and he certainly did not recommend taking out her tonsils. After supper I got brave and tried out my IBM washing machine and listened to the ball game. Too bad! Sure hope they can win tomorrow.

Yesterday when P. woke up from her nap I heard her calling very sweetly “Wela, Wela, Wela.” She must have been dreaming about you.

The biggest thrill I have had this week next to having an automatic wash machine again is that I had my first view of the Alps. When we drove out here Sun. you could see them very clearly. I wouldn’t even attempt to describe the sight but it makes you take a long deep breath and get rather tearful. Somehow you can’t believe you are seeing something so beautiful. They almost look like a giant backdrop has been painted behind the hills. If it weren’t for the clouds that are moving, hiding the peaks they would almost look artificial. It’s one of those handful of things you know you’ll never forget – your first view of the Alps.

Well I hope we will continue hearing from you often – don’t forget our new address. We are going to use Jim’s office address rather than bother with mail out here.

Give our best to all who ask. Let me know if Angeles got her card – I even remember writing it now!

Love,
Jim and Dina

No comments: