Tuesday, October 9, 2007

October 9, 1964

Return address:
D. Ryan
Silvahof Apt.Hotel
Apt. 613
Bern, Switzerland


Oct 9, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I received your letter of Oct 6th. Also a letter from Mildred and Julius and one from Betty D. Barbara is feeling very good now and has been off the penicillin since Mon. I have to take her back to the dr. next Wed. She was quite put out that I had told you that she was sick. But she perked right up when she heard about the $1.00 coming her way. I’ll let you know if it gets here. I have been hearing from Don quite often also. He said he is making carbon of his letters and sending me one. The kids were glad to hear that Tio Eddie wasn’t operated on - Jimmy had been adding “God Bless Tio Eddie from Phoenix who is sick” to his night prayers. I must explain my thinking that you had been writing to Mrs. Singer. I just reread her last letter and I noticed she addressed it to Jimmy – so when she says “your mother has sent us so many nice letters” – she meant me and not you as I thought at first. Is there any reason why Betty might have gone to Iowa? Does she have friends there? Are they having anyone look for her? I have been praying for them – I hope she comes home soon. I was really glad to hear the Armando and his family are moving to Fla. I guess the older you get the more you appreciate your family. Jim and I were really disappointed that our house isn’t rented. They made it sound so easy – I hope they rent it before the weather gets cold. Betty mentioned in her letter that the kids really had a lot of fun with Daddy – she said they would go visit you soon again – I know they enjoy it! If anyone asks you for our address give them Jim’s office address now. We are going to try to be out of here over the weekend. I will tell Betty to call Nancy Chewning and give that address.

We listened to the second series game – it is broadcast direct so we get it at night here – we were disappointed but maybe they can still win. Today Jim got a four page document in German covering the rental of the house – he took it to the Am Embassy and they gave him a translation. Tomorrow morning he will meet the son at the house and complete the deal. We have already arranged to rent a baby bed and high chair. I have a lot of letters to answer so I will close for now.

I am still feeling better and the worse moment of the day is when I first wake up and realize I’m so far away. As the day goes on it is not so bad and Thank God I am no longer heartsick. The week goes fast esp. for the kids. Every day there is something to look forward to. Mon. is the first day back at School. Tues is religious instruction or “kittychasm” as Kenny calls it. Wed is sports for Barbara and the afternoon off for Jimmy. Thurs is allowance day and they run to the corner baker to buy their candy. Fri. afternoon they go to the park to see the animals and I suppose later in the winter they will take them to indoor places of interest. This Sat. is Frannie Lawrence’s birthday and they are invited there and Sun is Kevin Bell’s birthday and they are invited there. Mr. Bell’s daughter Sherry (10 yrs old) gave B a pair of ballet slippers and a pair of toe shoes which were too small for her. So they play ballet a lot too.

Well I must get the baby to bed. Take care of yourselves. Don’t work too hard Dad – they took enough of your blood sweat and tears these last 45 years. Do write again soon!

Love
Jim and Dina

No comments: