Sunday, October 7, 2007

October 7, 1964

Return address:
D. Ryan
Silvahof Apt.Hotel
Apt. 613
Bern, Switzerland


Oct 7, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today was a very lucky day for us! Jim got an answer to his ad and Mr. Cotack took us out to see the house this morning and act as our interpreter. I left the children with Mrs. Lawrence. We still can’t believe it. It is a new split level house with 3 bedrooms, completely furnished and with basement and washing machine. The neighbor lady showed it to us. The owners are in Manila until April. She said we can move in any time. It is on the outskirts of the city about a ten minute ride to school in the car. We told the woman we would start moving our things in Sat. – and we gave a week’s notice to the hotel.

We will have to get in there before we move the kids out there – and put away all their bric a brac. It’s a gorgeous house – looks like newly built, painted, furnished and shows no wear. It is more than I ever dreamed we’d find. The lady next door seemed as all the other Swiss I’ve seen – very nice. She said she would help me use the wash machine the first time (it’s a nice big automatic). She also told Mr. Cotack to tell me the shopping area was about a ten minute walk and she would be glad to stay with the children if I wanted to go shopping. Jim wanted to put a deposit right away but she said it wasn’t necessary – just pay the month’s rent when we moved in. We were thrilled. We really couldn’t believe it – I still won’t till we move in. It has a nice yard for the kids to play in and the woman’s husband speaks English too. Jim called Hertz about renting a car until ours arrives as we will need one when we move out there.

This afternoon Mrs. Rushlow came by to thank me for feeding Rhonda and offered to pay me but I told her we would be her guest in Fribourg someday when our car arrives. She is very funny to talk to and as Jim and I suspected they are quite wealthy – her husband is a bank president and both children are adopted. We had guessed as much on both points. Later Mrs. Bell came by and I told her our good luck. It was her husband’s idea that we specifically say in the ad that we would be needing the house for so many months. He said “You may luck out and get somebody who is going on vacation” How right he was!

All we will have to rent is a baby bed but there is a place in town that rents furniture. All the linens, towels etc. are there at the house.

Now we will have a nice house for you to stay if you decide to come soon to see us. I hope you will! Thank God that icy hand that was clutching my heart has let go – now I feel homesick but not heartsick. I’d give anything tho to see you both and Today P was going around saying “Wela, Wela” and when I asked “Yes, Where’s Wela?” She got a funny look on her face like – yea what did happen to her?

If our Southern Bk. Statement came please send it on. We’re not sure how we stand! Send all mail now to Jim’s office address as I don’t trust some of Silvahof’s help for forwarding mail – their pretty stupid.

Love,
Jim and Dina

p.s. Jim’s address at work
Mr. James P. Ryan
c/o PTTI
Schwarztorstrass 7
Bern, Switzerland

p.p.s. A day like today proves that somebody is praying for us. Please write!

No comments: