Thursday, November 22, 2007

December 1, 1964

Tues, Dec 1, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Tues is my day in town. I decided to stop by the Silvahof and say Goodbye to Pili because the days will go so quickly and she will leave the 16th of Dec. I was talking to her and Francisca came by – I told her I had brought her some postage stamps. She sends all of them to a cousin in Spain. Francisca then ran to her room and came back with the “little gift” she had asked her mother to send from Spain for the kids. It was three pair of castanets for the girls. She said the boys’ gift had not arrived yet. Not only that but she and her husband came out to our house 2 Sundays ago to bring them to us. That is the one Sun. we were not home – when we drove to the mts. I told her she should have called me up. It only takes 15 min by car to come out here. The way they did it by bus – it would take as long as trying to go from your house to our place in Maplewood by bus. They had to take a bus to downtown and then a tram to Bolligen and then they had a good 20 min walk to our house. I told her I would come by next Sun. to get them so they could give the gift to the children themselves.

From the Silvahof I went to see the Lawrence’s house. They are renting a large row house in town. 3 stories with nine large rooms. The kids love to go there because they can play with the two Lawrence children and they have gobs of toys.

The 18th of Dec is the last day of the semester for all the children. B and Jimmy get their grades then. Kenny and MB’s class is having a Christmas party and program at a restaurant near the school. Jim is going to take off work for that and I sure don’t want to miss it. We keep asking them what they do at school and it so funny to hear them try to tell you. They said yesterday a little boy made poo poo in school and the whole class had to help the teacher clean it up. Jim asked them why the little boy didn’t have to do it – and Kenny said “Oh he had to go home.”

P is really talking a lot now. Today she was in her high chair eating tangerines. She’d say “Gimme one – you peel it.” and then I would say “Oh you want a tangerine.” Then a little later she’d say “Gimme one – look in back of you.” And I would repeat “Oh you want a tangerine.” She just couldn’t say “tangerine.” Finally she asked again “Gimme one – you say it.” She is so smart. Tonight B was playing the teacher and the others were in school. B can really imitate a British accent now since Miss Carter is English. P was playing and she would keep saying “Miss Coater, Miss Coater” Finally B answered her “What is it Patricia?” P says “Miss Coater, I’m going to wook (work) now.”

I received the carbon of Don’s letter today and was glad to get news of him. I will write to him tomorrow.

Our oven didn’t get fixed. Young Mr. Heirle came over to be here and when I got back he came over to tell me that the man had come but as he said “He came but he was a terrible chap.” Anyway the man couldn’t or wouldn’t fix it. So he’s going to call again tomorrow and see if they will send out another man.

Well, I will say good night,

Love,

Jim and Dina

No comments: