Thursday, November 15, 2007

November 15, 1964

Sun Nov 15, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Hope you are both feeling well when this arrives. We are all fine. I received a letter from Betty D. and Tia Lola. Betty told me about their visit to your house. She said they really enjoyed the food and the pie they brought home

Fri Mrs. Bunning (Jim’s boss’s wife) called me to see how I was. We talked for a while and then she told me that she is expecting a baby at the end of Feb. but that I should not say anything as they weren’t telling anyone yet. She is a woman in her early forties and Mr. B must be in his fifties. He has children by his first marriage but this is her first baby. If the poor woman only knew that everyone at work knows about it and in fact told Jim the exact day in Feb. that she is due. But that’s how life is when you’re the boss’s wife. Your life is an open book and you can’t have any secrets.

MB was very thrilled with her note from you and the $1.00. I had to read it to her several times and she walked around all afternoon carrying both the note and the $1.00 in her hand. She enjoyed her first day of school and wanted to go both Sat. and today too.

Yesterday the kids went ice skating. Kenny is starting to get better and he really tries hard. B. is very good at it and Jimmy wobbles around but at least keeps going. MB likes to go and watch them skate.

I called Mrs. Rushlow to thank her for the plant and she told me she is taking French at the U. there in Fribourg and also teaching English a couple a days a week at a girls’ school there. So she is quite busy.

Mr. Briggen just came by to say hello and he took B. and MB with him next door to play with his girls. They are really nice neighbors.

Today Kenny was talking about the story Tom Thumb. He said “I hope Wela doesn’t forget that story because when we go back to America I’m going to ask her to tell it to me again.”

I forgot to mention before Jim sent some slides to you the first part of the month. I think you should be getting them around the 21st of Nov. They are of the trip and at the Silvahof Hotel. He has taken some pictures here at this house but we don’t have those developed yet.

P. is getting cuter and funnier every day. She loves to close her eyes and conduct the music on the radio quite furiously. Also she likes to walk around the basement pointing to all the clothes hanging there and saying “There’s Kenny pajamas” or whoever’s they are. When she finds some of her own things hanging she really thinks that’s great!

Well I will close for now. Don’t work to hard painting. Always glad to get your letters. Keep them coming. Our best to all family and friends.

Love

Jim and Dina

No comments: