Saturday, November 10, 2007

October 19, 1964

Oct 19, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well today was a much better day. Since we get our mail at work we have a nice collection waiting on Mon. I got a letter from Don and one from Tia Lola and Tala and Bob and Betty Dameris. Barbara also got a letter from Chrissy. It is so nice to get mail. I feel just like I visited with the people. Be sure to tell Tia Lola I got her letter and the $1.00 and I will answer her soon. Also Tala if you see her.

I hope my letters haven’t been too depressing. I guess I shouldn’t sound so sad but I remember one time when Katie Schadel was telling me how her family in Wash would write and say “mother is better now” or “so and so is out of the hospital”. In an effort to not worry her they wouldn’t tell her anything until later. As a result she worried all the time about what they weren’t telling her. I decided to be completely honest so that when I write and say – everything is fine and we are all enjoying ourselves you can be sure it is true. All the other Am’s here tell me it takes a good 6 mo. or a year to adjust. So I am sure I won’t be any different than anyone else. The Lawrence’s spent 6 yrs. in England and she told me they all cried when they left. Then another Emb. woman told me that they were 5 yrs in Japan and liked it so well that whenever they see anyone who is Japanese they run up and introduce themselves.

Again I have no complaints about the country itself. Cooking is no problem. They have many delicious Knorr package soups which taste as good as home made. Also yesterday I made “sopa de fideo” with chicken boullion cubes and the fideos and it was as delicious as the kind you make from scratch. It was a big pot and they ate it all up at lunch. I also bought a packaged Flan mix with the carmel in a cellophane package all ready to pour into the moulds. I thought it was delicious but K. took one taste and said “No, it’s not like Wela’s. I don’t want it.” And the others don’t care for flan so Jim and I ate it all.

After supper tonight I wanted Jim to go next door and tell Mr. Briggen to have his young daughter come over and play sometime. B has been wanting to meet them. About 10 minutes later before Jim had a chance to do it – the door bell rang and it was Mr. and Mrs. Briggen and their daughters. They are twin girls about 11 years old – Barbara and Elfrieda. The Briggens had coffee with us and the girls played with the Barbie doll. Only Mr. Briggen speaks English but Mrs. B is very nice and ending up holding P. all the while they were here. Mr. Guenther the other neighbor had told me Mrs. B was the neighborhood angel and all the ladies run to her to help them or tell their troubles to . While they were here another neighbor appeared. Our owner’s son is staying with the family in back of our house while his folks our gone. We had asked him if there were any baby sitters around here as Jim’s boss had asked us to come over one night this week. He said he would ask the young girl of the family he was living with. Sure enough in came a very pretty girl about 18 yrs old to tell us in very halting English that she would be glad to babysit for us when we wanted her.

Now you can’t beat these people for thoughtfulness and kindness. They certainly couldn’t care less about us as they know we are only here for a couple of months – Also it is not easy for them to speak English but they are not afraid to try and make mistakes. I’ve met more neighborliness in one week here than in seven months on Dover Pl. So I have no complaints about the people.

Mr. Briggen’s son plays the piano and organ. Jim told him we were renting one this week and he (Mr B.) said “Oh, our son will be over to play for you” They stayed for about ½ hour and then wished us a good night and left. When you are a foreigner you certainly appreciate such kindness. I’m just sorry I can’t speak their language. It doesn’t seem right that they should have to struggle with our language when we are in their country.

Well I want to write a letter to Jim’s mother tonight – so I will close. Hope you are both feeling well. Our best to all the family and friends.

Love,
Jim and Dina

No comments: