Sunday, November 11, 2007

November 11, 1964

Nov 11, 1964
Wed.

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well, Monday night Mrs. Biggen came over and insisted that Jim leave MB and P with her. So Tues morning Jim did. Went to the office and then came by to see me. While he was there Dr. Egger, the pediatrician, stopped in to see how I was doing. He was just in time to help us translate to the Sister who was asking what time I was going home Wed. Jim’s French wasn’t getting through and she kept starting off her sentences in French and ending in the Dialect. A little later in the afternoon I received a beautiful plant of cyclamen and African violets from the Bells. I felt funny about it as she was in the hospital two weeks and I didn’t even send her a card. We have been so fortunate to meet such nice people, Spanish, American and Swiss. After school Jim brought the kids over for a visit. We had to laugh because P really smelled like sausage. She was sleeping when Jim went to get her for lunch so Mrs. B. insisted she stay there. She had lunch with them. Jim says that’s the way everyone on the buses and streetcars smell. It’s really strong sausage.

Last night Mrs. Rushlow called up from Fribourg to see how I was doing. Jim talked to her and she told him that she too is going to the U. taking French and also teaching at some school so she is quite busy and enjoying herself.

Just now the phone rang and it was Mrs.Guenter. She said she went to a bazaar and saw a pair of shoes she thought would fit Patricia so she bought them for her. She didn’t know I had been in the hospital and was so sorry she didn’t know so she could help with the children. As I say we have certainly met fine people.

We received both of the Post Dispatch paper you sent Daddy and also the magazines etc. Did you notice the article about Pat Ware’s sister in the St. Louis Review. It’s wonderful. If you didn’t read it let me know and I’ll cut it out and send it back for you to read. Also the letter Don sent about his visit to R.P. last Sept. was just like reading a short story about Brazil. I wouldn’t doubt if he eventually ends up writing for the Order. He certainly has the talent for it.

Mrs. Guenter just stopped in and brought me a nice pair of lined slippers which will fit P and a pair of lined boots for MB to wear outside to play. They fit her perfectly and she insists on wearing them right now.

The other night while he was in the tub Jimmy said “Well I hope Welo writes to us and lets us know what kind of a job he gets.” I told him I was quite sure you would.

Well P is napping and MB is sitting here coloring so I think I’ll take advantage of the quiet and take a little nap.

Will write again tomorrow,

Love
Jim and Dina

No comments: