Sunday, November 18, 2007

November 18, 1964

Wed. Nov 18, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

We received your very exciting letter early this morning. I can’t tell you how I felt when I read it. I feel as though I have never been very thoughtful of Tia Maria and she has always been so generous with us and the children. Now for her to do this I feel as though she was giving the money to me as well as to you. Naturally your news makes us very happy. My only thought is I wish Daddy could come too. It is a hard trip to make alone and once you are here and see us I know you will be worried about Daddy all alone. Also I hate the thought of his being alone at Christmas and also we are most anxious to see him too!! Of course if it cannot be I do not mean to discourage you. If we can’t have you both – one will make us very happy. I had half-hoped all along that you both would come at Christmas but then when you wrote about putting in the new furnace – Well I know what that situation is! Once when I mentioned to Jim how homesick I was – he said think how we’ll feel at the holidays. And then when Daddy retired, Jim said very excitedly - “I bet your folks are on their way.”

I think it is quite something the way God works – That you should get the money right at the time I wrote news which I knew would worry you.

I went to the Dr. this afternoon. He said I am fine and that my blood count is good. He told me to continue my tonic and to come back in a month. I feel very good, better than I have in weeks.

Another coincidence is that last evening Barbara said “Did Welo and Wela say they would come and see us?” When I told her yes, she said “Will they come to see us at this house or after we go to Brussels?” I told her I didn’t know, but it might be after we go to Brussels. She was hoping she could see you soon.

As for P. – she is most faithful to you. And always asks “Where’s Welo – Where’s Wela” – and “I want to see Wela – I want to see Welo” Her eyes tell you that she knows just what she is saying. She is getting very smart. She can climb right into her highchair and she follows me around the house saying “Mom, Mom, I want to tell you something.”

Today Mrs. Guenter stopped in to see how I was feeling. She has her niece of 2 ½ yr old visiting with her for a few weeks. Right now Teresa her daughter and the little one are here playing with the children. The little 2 ½ yr old is coming up to me and talking away. She seems to talk a lot for her age and she looks so surprised when I don’t answer her. She really thinks I’m stupid.

Today while I was at the Dr. and downtown shopping Jim took the three little ones to work. When I got back there they were all having tea and cookies. P of course had tried out everyone’s lap. The people seem to be very nice. The boss is out of town this week so when the cat’s away - .

Well, I will write more tomorrow,

Love Jim and Dina

P. S. Here is the check for Miss Edy & there will be some other things I want you to bring. I’ll let you know later. Mr. Tumbas’ phone number is PL2-6776

1 comment:

MaryB said...

The following notation is from the Family Tree:

Maria Brigida Fernandez was born on 10 Dec 1888 in Asturias, Spain. She died on 28 Mar 1978 in St. Louis MO.

"My Tia Maria had a big home a (duplex, on the corner of Loughborough and Pennsylvania). She was an excellent tailor and made me clothes – sports coat and short pants when I was a little boy -- . She was known to be 'close' with her money, but was generous with my mother, her sister Dora. When Dina moved to Europe my Tia Maria wrote out a check for the airfare and sent it to my mother in the mail, with a short note, 'so you can visit your daughter.' " Donald Garcia