Sunday, November 11, 2007

November 1, 1964

Nov 1, 1964

I hope my delay in writing has not worried you. We are all fine. To recap Fri. The children had a holiday in the afternoon. I kept the car to take them skating. MB and Kenny decided to try skating – that was quite a sight! Neither one could even stand up on them. While I was there I learned that the children were to go Trick or Treating that night. So Mrs. Mureck (the Dutch Embassy lady) and myself took 10 of them in our little bus. The youngest three Lawrence children, Kevin Bell, her two little ones and our four. Since we didn’t have much notice – the boys wore their coats buttoned over their heads like headless men and B and MB wore jewelry and lipstick and B my mantilla and MB my red beret. We started out at the Ambassador’s house and about 5 or 6 other Embassy people had treats for the children. We ended up at the Union of So. Africa Embassy and there they had the children come in and each perform or tell a joke before they were given their sweet. The kids really enjoyed it and were so tired they fell asleep on the way home. Next morning Sat. I woke up to the sound of crackling candy wrappers and glub glub.

Sat I went to get my hair cut finally- I was afraid they were going to make me get a dog license (not that I’ve seen any shaggy unkempt dogs here.) I did my marketing and when I got back Kenny and Jimmy had broken the language barrier and were playing with some Swiss boys. B and MB were at the Briggens playing dolls with their Barbara. Sat night I brought the Spanish girls out for dinner. Two of them brought the children boxes of candy and Francisca said her “regalito” had not arrived from Spain yet. The kids had an ample supply of candy this weekend. We had a nice evening. Francisca is Andaluca and was soon doing the Sevillanas around the living room and singing many Andalucean songs – most of them about the “luna” etc. She’s very natural and offered to help me out whenever I need her. Jim took them home early as they have to work on Sundays. They get a big kick out of all the kids esp. P. and P. had to sit on F’s lap all the while she ate supper.

I received your letter and we received the other bills etc. that Daddy sent. I was very interested in the clipping you mailed. Doesn’t matter who you are Macarthur, Kruchken or Johnny Keanse – when you’re out – you’re out ! Of course I’m sure Johnny Keanse got a tremendous feeling of the irony of it all – to resign after winning them the World Series.

I’m glad to hear Beatriz is better – I hope to God she gets well quick as 8 children is no picnic when you’re not in good health.

Patricia continues to amaze and amuse us all with her clever ways. Yesterday she was singing Happy Birthday to “Barbara” and she put each of the children’s name every time. When she got to MB we really laughed as it came out “Metha”. Jim told her very carefully “No, Patricia – Mary Beth” so she said “Metha Meth” When she writes she runs up and shows you her paper and says “Oh look I made a Boo Boo.”

We thought about you Daddy on Fri. Jim said “Well, it’s the last day for Mercantile for your Dad.” That’s quite an accomplishment which many people are not fortunate to live to see. Also good to hear you have all your own teeth, too Mom.

I was so surprised to know that Placido is going back to Spain. I had no idea he had even come home to St. Louis yet. That poor man – it must be awful to want to be in two places at once. I thought he sold his car and all his furniture there in Spain.

I’m also sorry to hear that Neva is still so upset. Poor woman, it’s no wonder she lost everything in one blow really –her husband, her home, her environment, her privacy – Well as Don says – eventually she will adjust – that’s just the wonder of human nature – time heals!

How is Alice doing? I think of her so often. In fact I started praying very hard not only for her and Toots, but also for selfish reasons for our 5 kids. I decided I better start now as you never know what is ahead for them in life. As of now Jim and I marvel at how well they still get along together – They all love P so much and are really tickled by her every trick. J and Kenny are inseparable and B has her shadow MB whenever she is home. All five of them play school together with P tagging right along now. I can’t tell you how often P mentions you both. Yesterday the 3 girls were coloring in the living room, P saw a woman go walking by the house and she called out “Oh, there’s Wela.” In her high chair she will quite often for no reason say “Where’s Wela?” or “I want to see Wela.”

Fri. when I picked up Jim at the bus a very dignified woman in her middle or late sixties got off the bus, she had on a hat and silk muffler and nice beige coat (I haven’t see a sloppy dressed person yet) As I say she got off the bus, walked over to a bicycle parked nearby - mounted and went pedaling down the street.

How is Chic feeling? Thanks for the additional addresses. I want to write to Tia Lola now.

Love
Jim and Dina

No comments: