Friday, November 23, 2007

December 2, 1964

Wed Dec 2, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Hope you are both well when this arrives. I hope you are not wearing yourselves out painting the house. Jim got a few magazines at work so I guess they finally have his change of address.

Today I got a letter from Betty D. and Jimmy got one from Stephen. Jimmy was so thrilled because it was the first letter that he has gotten. He sat right down and wrote Stevie an answer. It was so funny. I hope Betty saves and brings it over to show it to you. You know how funny he talks when he gets started – his letter was the same. He kept asking me how to spell words as he wrote. He said “Mom, how do you spell “chore”? I told him and I wondered to myself what he was using that word to say but knowing him and some of his vocabulary I didn’t question him. When I read the letter it said - I LIKED YOUR PICHORE.

Today was Sports Day and B had us all laughing with her story. She said the Blue Team won the soccer game because of her. J. said “Oh you’re on the White Team huh?” But no, she’s on the Blue Team and it seems one of her teammates kicked the ball, it bounced in the goal lines and out again hitting B on the forehead and bounced back in again. So they won. She says “It bounced back in the Goldie.” That’s her word for goal. She’s about as good at sports as her mother but you ought to see her skate. Really good.

Tonight my Dutch friend called. They moved out of the Silvahof today and her little girl is coming to lunch with us tomorrow. They had all their furniture etc. shipped from Wash. D.C. She said it’s a “fantastic mess.” She has two babies too but she does have a maid. She got her through the Spanish Catholic Mission. Mrs. Bell was telling me that Francisca took one look at her and said she was a gypsy. So being like she is - completely natural – she went up to her and asked her if she was one. The maid said she was but not to tell anyone because it’s hard to get a work permit if they know that. I don’t know if the Dutch lady knows it. She only tells me that she isn’t too bright and wears her long and black hanging down past her shoulders, until Mrs. M. told her she would have to braid it when she was in their place. I’ve called several times and got her on the phone and she speaks beautiful Spanish. When you say “Muchas gracias” She answers “No se merece.”

When I went to say Goodbye to Pili she said “Ay pero no salimas el sabado.” I almost hated to make the date as it would be the third time we’ve tried to go with her – but maybe 3’s a charm. Anyway I called our sweet little babysitter in back of us. She is about 19yrs old and goes to the Univ. She speaks very little English but the kids love her. Last Sun. when she came she brought us a bouquet of flowers.

Well I don’t know who the kids are most anxious to have arrive – Wela or Santa Claus.

Regards to all the family,

Love

Jim and Dina

No comments: