Saturday, November 10, 2007

October 20, 1964

Oct. 20, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Tuesday is a busy day for me – because I take Kenny to the Catechism at 4:00 PM at the school. This means I ride back to school and work with them at 2:00 PM. We went to the meat market near the Silvahof where the lady is so nice and then we went to visit the Lawrence’s . She asked me how I liked my new neighborhood and when I told her about our nice neighbors she was very pleased. Also surprised as she tells me the older residents here have told her that they have been here five years and have only been in a Swiss home twice. So I guess we were lucky indeed. At 4:00 I took K. to religion and went to the bakery and to pick up Jim. Then we all drove home together. After supper I went next door to ask Mrs. B. to have coffee with me tomorrow. I had called Mrs. Guenther this morning and she said she would come and asked if it were all right if brought her knitting as she is hurrying to finish some things for Christmas.

Naturally when I went next door I had to shake hands with everybody including the children. I was so used to ignoring children that at first it took me by surprise when the children on the streets would greet me. The word for hello in the dialect sounds like “Grease” and that is what they say to you when you pass.

I hope when we go back that everyone won’t laugh at our English. At first I thought some of the Am. Embassy women I met were very affected. Now I see it comes from speaking so others can understand you. You have to eliminate all your slang and use very precise words. Also I have had to slow down a lot and speak much more distinctly. That’s why it is so refreshing to be with other Am’s and just talk like yourself.

Today after supper the kids were playing store in German – you should hear they way they have they sound of the language – it’s so funny to listen to them gibber away.

P. is really getting wise now. Today she passed Jim on the steps and looked at him out of the corner of her eye and clicked her tongue at him, as if to say “How’s Tricks?”

Last night when the B’s where here and we were shaking hands all around and introducing the children she kept punching herself in the chest and saying “And Me! And Me!”

Well I want to answer Don’s letter. Our letters to him take about 2 weeks to get there. His took 11 days to get here.

Jim is doing some work from the office. He says if Daddy wants a job he can probably get him one as bookkeeper and Spanish translator.

Well I must get P to bed too. Please take care of yourselves and give our best to family and friends.

Love,
Jim and Dina

No comments: