Sunday, November 11, 2007

October 25, 1964


Oct 25, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Again I am writing this hurriedly as I want to mail it on my way to the Silvahof. The three youngest Lawrence children came out to celebrate Kenny’s birthday and they are outside looking at the ponies and horses that graze near here. Jim went in to get them but I want to take them back as the children told us that the Bell family had an automobile accident and I want to get the details and see if there is anything we can do. I had also invited Sherry and Kevin Bell but their mother told me they were going away for the weekend to ski. I think the mother is in the hospital in Lausanne and the others are all right. I hope it is not too serious.

Yesterday I watched B and Jimmy Skate for a while and B does very well. J is too lazy to do much but I think it will be good exercise for him. I left them there with K watching them skate and took MB to get her haircut and pick up some things for the birthday party.

We had a nice evening at Mr. Bunning ‘s house (Jim’s Boss) Fri night. Jim and I were dreading it because of the peculiar situation that exists. Mr. B is more or less fighting for his job and is being replaced by the man from Brussels. Jim isn’t sure what he thinks that Jim is doing there – perhaps to spy on him or something. As it was, it turned very pleasant. His wife is English so that made it easy – they were very easy to talk to about any and every thing. Mr. B was in a hostage camp for a year and half during the war and his wife was in England all during the raids. When you meet people who were in the war here (slight interruption. I couldn’t get this mailed because the little girl next door came over and wanted B and Jimmy to ride her horse so I had to go out and watch them. By the time we did that it was getting near supper time so I drove the children back to the Silvahof.

I stopped in at the Bell’s and Mr. Bell said they had a narrow escape – His wife had a head injury and will be in the hospital for a week. Kevin had six stitches in his head. I stopped by also to see the Sp. maids. Only Tere was home and I told her I would call them this week to see if we could get together next weekend.

As I started to say on the last page – the Am’s were very lucky in that last war except for those who lost loved ones. One thing for sure there is no love lost on the Germans over here. All the Swiss people that speak High German (because that is what they are taught in school) – always explain to people that they are Swiss. Even Mr. B said that whenever he goes to Austria before he starts to speak his German he is quick to explain that he is from Amsterdam.

You should have seen P today at the party. She tried to play all the games, musical chairs – drop the clothespins in the bottle. She really enjoyed herself.

Jim fixed the other scooter that Mrs. G. gave me so now they have a ball with both of them.

I started B today on her piano work and she wasn’t too rusty. We’ll see how J. is tomorrow. By the way when you write to me I think you could send the letters to this address. You don’t have to bother to give it to other people because they can continue to write to the office. But on a weekend since Jim doesn’t work on Sat, I have to wait until Mon to get any letters from you – Also I hate to see that mail man go by in the morning here and he never stops at our house.

The address is
No. 4 Reckholtern
Bolligen, Bern
Switz.

Well I must get the kids to bed so I will close. Hope you are both feeling o.k.

We should get our VW bus on Tues. Regards to all the family and friends.

Love
Jim and Dina

1 comment:

MaryB said...

Look in the picture, I see Kenny on his Birthday scooter! hahaha