Saturday, November 10, 2007

October 18, 1964



Oct 18, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well I guess you gathered that yesterday was a pretty blue day for us by my last letter. When I went shopping I took B. with me and she stopped off at the Lawrence’s to play. Mrs. Lawrence is such a nice person and even tho’ they have nine of their own you never hesitate to stop in or leave one with her. On my way home from shopping we looked all over for a N.Y. Herald Tribune which is the paper we read. No luck. Then I stopped off at the meat market near our new house. I had asked the woman who is the butcher to get me some liver. When I stopped for it she said she couldn’t give it to me because it was too hard. The people here are very honest! You feel complete confidence in them. Today B. and I went to Mass upstairs at 9:30 Mass to the German High Mass. The Spanish and English Services are in the Crypt of the Church and I was curious to see the upstairs of the Church. Jim and Jimmy went to the 10:30 English Service After P. took her nap today we went for a ride to town to see the bear pits – Unfortunately it was a cold rainy day and the bears weren’t out. So we went to watch the Clock Tower strike the hour and walk through the Arcades to look in the shop windows. Everyone in Bern had the same idea as the streets are filled with people looking in the windows as nothing but the restaurants are open on Sun.

P. really listens and learns every day. Today the kids were asking how many francs they would get for their allowance in Brussels. Each one of the kids were yelling “how much will I get Daddy?” pretty soon old P. in her high chair is yelling “how much Daddy” like she really know what she was talking about. Right now Jim has just used the pencil sharpener and P is trying to sharpen the manicure scissors in the pencil sharpener. Coming home we got lost and P was getting restless in the car – pretty soon she said “Where is Wela? Where is Welo?” –“I want Wela” and she sounded like she knew what she was saying. You needn’t worry about her forgetting you both.

Jim’s mom wrote me that she and Mr. Singer had their photograph made as I had asked them to send us one for Christmas. I hope you and Daddy will do the same.

I hope Alice is feeling better now that she knows Betty is ok. Did Chic get any relief from his pains? I haven’t forgotten about Mil and Julius. I will write to them this week.

We were really lucky to find such a lovely home to rent. It just occurred to me you don’t even know where it is. Our address is No. 4 Reckholtern, Bolligen, Switz. Our telephone number is 58-1365. if you would ever need us in an emergency. God forbid. The house is a 4 yr old split-level house with large living room with a real fireplace and floor to ceiling windows – a nice dining area and book shelves – a little alcove behind the fireplace with a high fi & a couch (that’s Jimmy’s bed). A modern built in kitchen. Three bedrooms and with a good automatic washer. Of course it was neat as a pin and all the linens and towels very neatly arranged in the closet.

Well I must get P bathed and to bed. Kisses from all the children and much love from
Jim and Dina

No comments: