Friday, November 23, 2007

December 3, 1964

Thurs Dec. 3, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today little Mariska came for lunch. She is a very smart little 6 yr old with two front teeth missing and blonde blonde hair. As Jim says all of their kids look Dutch they should be on paint cans. She speaks perfect English in chipped sort of accent. The children were asking her how to say different words in French. Then they asked her how to say them in Dutch. She’s not too good in Dutch. And she says when she’s in Holland she can remember them better because everyone is talking it all around her. The parents speak Dutch at home to one another but they speak French exclusively to the children. Since they were in Wash D.C. 6 yrs M. learned English and that is why they are sending her to English speaking school because they don’t want her to lose it.

In the afternoon today the snow began falling again. By the time Jim brought the kids home at 4P.M. – it was really coming thick and fast. He called work and told them he wasn’t going back. So we had supper early tonight.

While we were practicing our Christmas Carols – a face appeared in the window – a little boy dressed as Santa Claus – the kids were very impressed.

About 8P.M. Mr. Briggen our neighbor came over for a short “visit” as he calls it. He apologized for not coming over more often but he has been very busy with the end of the year work. He is such a nice man. It’s a real effort for him to speak English but he wants so much be neighborly. He stayed about 15 min and off he went.

Tonight at the supper table the kids were acting up and Jim said “Jimmy do you want to go to your room until we finish eating?” “Barbara, do you want to go?” “Kenny, do you want to go?” With this Patricia pipes up in a very sweet voice “Daddy, do you want to go?”

Today I overheard K and MB playing. They were writing something and K said ‘Look at it MB right there on the papier.” So I guess little by little the French is sinking in.

I hope everyone there is well. I must answer Alice’s letter soon. Is Betty still living with Brenda? Did you get the check I sent you for $20.00? I don’t believe you mentioned getting it in your last letter. And the slides? I sure hope they have arrived by now. It was such a small package. I hope it didn’t get lost in the mail.

I am just about finished my stack of Sun. Post’s, Sunday Visitor and the Review. Needless to say I read every word of them and I keep them in our bedroom stacked up by the bed and as I finish each section I take them downstairs. I am awaiting the issue with Kennedy’s book in it. We should get it soon.

Well, I will say Goodnight until tomorrow. Regards to all.

Love,

Jim and Dina

No comments: