Thursday, November 22, 2007

November 27-28, 1964

Fri Nov 27, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Was disappointed at not getting a letter from Don again today. I’ve been hoping to hear from you both soon but I figured Dad was busy painting and Mom was busy with Miss Edy’s party.

B and Jimmy were home these past two days for the Thanksgiving Holidays. Strangely enough they didn’t get too bored and found a lot to keep them busy around here. Next to our house there is a vacant lot – so they have had a lot of fun digging in the rocks and mud there. You know how they were always trying to do that in the yard. So now they can dig away to their heart’s content. Jimmy esp likes it and will go out right after school and stay out there digging until supper at 6:30P.M.

We got a letter from Jim’s mother and she mentions getting the snaps we sent. I hope you got yours. Barbara also got a sweet letter from Chris Dameris and a picture showing an airplane and a car and two girls standing there one saying “Chris” and the other “Barbara” It is a really cute drawing.

Today the landlord’s son came over to tell me that Tues. the man is coming to fix the oven door. He says he will come over so he can watch the man work and see that it is fixed right. Luckily Tues is the one afternoon I am not here so I’ll be glad to get the kids out of here so they can work in peace.

I hope he shows up as I would like to have that oven and broiler.

Right now the children are ready for bed in their pj’s and enjoying some home popped popcorn. We finally found some – Jim did and they are enjoying it. P is in her high chair yelling “more Mommy more.”

Right now we are waiting for Mr. and Mrs. Muerick to come over for a little visit. We had invited them when we asked Mr. and Mrs. B. since Mr. B is Dutch also and there is such a small Dutch colony.


Sat Afternoon, Nov 28

My letter writing was interrupted by the Muerick’s arrival. We had a nice time visiting with them. They loved U.S.A. and Wash. D.C. so it is very easy to get to know them. They are not too happy with Switz. but as they say after Wash D.C. what could compare. Mr. M is very nice – a quiet soft spoken man but very witty. When I told him what Eleanor Messineo’s husband said about the Swiss being aloof and hard to get to know but once they’re your friend they are your friend for life – Mr. M said “I’m sorry but I don’t have time to wait. In 3 yrs. I’m off to another post and if it’s going to take them that long, it’s too bad.” Of course they admitted their first 6 months in the States they were not too happy either. I guess it takes time to adjust.

Well, more tomorrow,
Love,
Jim and Dina

No comments: