Thursday, November 22, 2007

November 23, 1964

Mon. Nov 23, 1964
Dear Mom and Dad,
Patricia and I received our cards this morning and the $1.00. Thank you very much. Also received letters from Tia Trina and Betty D.
Well I couldn’t wait any longer so tonight after night prayers, I told the kids I had a surprise for them. I started to tell them about Tia Maria and they remembered who she was and as I went on with my story Jimmy got ahead of me. His eyes were clicking like computers and he guess at it “ Oh Boy, Wela is coming to visit us.” When I told him that he had guessed right – they next words were Barbara’s and she said “And Welo is coming with her.” I explained that you might come or might come later but that you would definitely come too. They all got very excited discussing it and Kenny got them all laughing by saying “I wonder how many years she can stay. I hope 3 days.” Of course what I knew would happened, Kenny started whining saying “I want her to come this instant.” And B said “Oh, I don’t know what I’ll do when I see Wela.” They were all so excited! MB through all this just listened with her big eyes and her perpetual smile and she finally got a chance to say something – she said “When Wela comes she’ll look real pretty. She’ll wear pretty clothes.” I think she must remember seeing you dressed up to got out somewhere and that’s what she was thinking about. They all went to bed very happy indeed.
Before I forget – I hope you still have those Swiss Air Bags that we left. You could use one and Dad another. If you have room you can throw a couple of them in your bags and Dad can bring the other 2. We thought we would have to turn them in but no one ever asked for them. They’re nice bags. It’s a shame not to use them.
Today was the Onion Festival in Bern. Jim’s office closed up at four p.m. He picked up the kids and came out to get us. We all went downtown. The streets are all closed off. There are many stands selling - what else onions – onion -onions (you figure it out I’ve only been here two months). Everybody carries confetti and throws it on each other. We bought each of the kids a bag of confetti and we walked the streets which were just mobbed. They got a big kick out of throwing confetti on everyone they met. Even MB – started off very cautiously just throwing it at people’s legs and by the time we came home she was running up throwing it in people’s faces. P was very patient sitting in her stroller but finally she asked to get out – “My stroller’s too dirty” was her reason. It was full of confetti. We bought some roasted chestnuts and headed for home.
We did pass a Spanish Book store on the way so I went in for a minute to look around. Ask Tia Trina , Lola, Clorinda or Tia Maria if there is any special book they have been wanting in Spanish. This place has everything- even the bible, etc.
Tell Tia Trina I will answer her letter soon.
Well, Goodnight until tomorrow.
Love Dina and Jim,
P.S. Did you get the color slides yet?

1 comment:

MaryB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.