Friday, November 23, 2007

December 8, 1964

Tues. Dec 8, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Received your letter today and checks also. Thank you very much. I am glad to hear the house is all fixed and painted again as I know you will leave in a more tranquil state of mind if all looks well there. Since you have already applied for your passport I guess you just have to get your shots and airplane reservations. We would like to meet you at the airport. I don’t know what airlines you are taking but you will land either at Geneva or Zurich. Try to get a flight that doesn’t arrive too early in the morning as both cities are a good hour and ½ ride from here. But it’s a very nice ride with excellent roads all the way.

I’m sure Sr. Doritheus is one of the people who will miss you the most – She’ll have to start riding with those cab drivers that she doesn’t like.

I will be so glad to see Jim get back. I have been so busy driving back and forth all day I haven’t had time to miss him. But I’m really beat. I’m going to bed as soon as I finish this letter. I’m so glad I don’t have to do that driving every day.

This morning the man did come to fix the oven so I stayed in town so we wouldn’t be in the way. I did some grocery shopping and then stopped by Mrs. Lawrences. We had a cup of coffee and then I drove her and her oldest dghter to the train. They were going to Zurich to do some shopping. It seems the sizes here are very funny. They have children’s sizes up to 12 yrs. old and then they jump right into the ladies clothes. Her teen age girls can’t find anything to fit or young looking. I don’t think the teen-agers here dress up very much judging from the clothes we saw Sat. night some of them are wearing clothes that belonged to their grandmother.

I did enjoy going to the French Kdg. meeting the teacher and all the little children I’ve heard the kids talk about. Today I overheard Kenny say “Au Revoir Madame Christen” as he came out the door. It sounded so restful to hear the children and parents talking French after listening to this miserable dialect all day. As one of the Embassy ladies says – it sounds more like gargling than talking.

I stopped to get gas and the lady gasoline attendant (there are many of them) gave me my change counting it out in the Dialect and saying the words of thank you and goodbye which I have finally learned. When she was finished Patricia said in a very loud voice “What did she say to you?” Now when a two yr old notices it must be goofy sounding.

Well more tomorrow,

Love

Dina

p.s. so glad the slides arrived.

No comments: