Saturday, November 17, 2007

November 17, 1964

Nov 17, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Received your letter this morning with the minuelo recipe. Thanks a lot. Also received a letter from Tia Clorinda and a card for Patricia with $1.00 in it from Mildred. Please give them both my thanks and I will answer them soon. Mildred mentions that Miss Edy’s party is soon. I am sending this check for her gift and also if the Waverly Club has any affair soon you can buy me a sleeper etc.

I am feeling very good. I go back to the Dr. tomorrow for a check. Jim did take off work while I was in the hospital. The kids were very good and I was glad that they could visit because they could see that a hospital wasn’t such a scary place as they thought.

The painter’s name is James R. Tumbus, 5226 Loughbourough.

I’m glad you and Dad had your picture taken. We have a nice cabinet here in the dining room. On it we have Kennedy’s picture & Don’s – also the bank clipping and pic of Dad and 4 little wallet pictures that Betty sent of the children. We are now waiting to put yours and Jim’s folks picture up there. Jim’s mom wrote that they had their picture taken too.

Yes, the Spanish girls are very sweet. When I thanked them for coming to see me, they apologized because they didn’t bring me anything. By the time Jim went by there everything was closed. Every shop closes on Sat. at 5:00 PM and nothing is open on Sundays here. I must go see them soon and tell them good-bye. They will be leaving for Spain in a few weeks. Pili said she would give me her address in Spain so I could keep in touch with her. She will not get the time off from the hotel to go home so she has to quit. When she comes back to Switz. she is going to work at the St. Moritz – a famous lodge. They pay better in the mts. because it’s harder to get help up there because there isn’t any diversions as in the city. But she said her family will forward her mail from Spain to wherever she is. When I told them it was so typical that the Sp. would visit in the hospital – she said “Ay ya se sabe – a los en las carceles y los hospitals – siempre” So I guess if I’m jailed for jaywalking they’ll be right there again. They said in Spain they had to restrict hospital visitors because the places were just buzzing with people.

I went today to visit Eleanor Bell. She looks good except for a nasty looking scar on her forehead where the windshield got it. But she is a very philosophical kind of person and just doesn’t get upset or discouraged. I wouldn’t doubt if she doesn’t have to have plastic surgery done. It’s a shame. She’s a very pretty woman. She said the Lawrences moved out of the Silvahof yesterday. The Bells got there first and they’re still there.

I felt sort of sorry for the man who wanted to rent our house too. But Mr. Laux felt these people would be better and also he wanted to rent from Dec 1st and they rented as of Nov 5th so that saved us a house payment.

Will write again soon,
Love Jim and Dina

P.S. Will send check tomorrow. Jim left the check book at work.

1 comment:

MaryB said...

Can someone please tell me who Mrs. Edy is? and why they give her a party every year?