Thursday, November 22, 2007

November 26, 1964

Thurs. Nov 26, 1964

Dear Mom and Dad,

Well it didn’t seem at all like Thanksgiving Day today which is fine with me. If it could only be the same with all the holidays when one is away.

In the afternoon Arian Muereck and her three little ones came over for a short visit. Her oldest dghter is 6 yrs. and in Jimmy’s room. Her little boy is 2 ½ and her baby is 1 ½ yrs. They are moving out of the Silvahof into their house next Mon. She liked our house very much but was quite surprised to notice it had only one bathroom. She could hardly believe it when I told her we have always only had one bathroom. An yet she is not the high falutin type in her dress or manner. They are with the Dutch Embassy and were stationed in Wash D.C. for 6 yrs. She is so homesick for Wash and the States and says once you’ve lived there no where else could compare to that.

This morning we received another Sun. Post from Daddy – Included were the Review, Sunday Visitor and Fr. Rahm letters. I spent almost all afternoon trying to decipher Fr. Rahm letters. They are certainly interesting but quite an effort to plow through. Still no letter from Don.

Mrs. Bunning called tonight to tell us they could not come over tomorrow night as Mr. B. still has the grippe. He hasn’t been at work for several days so we were kind of hoping they would do just that. I’m in no mood to have the flu or whatever virus is going around come in the house. We wanted to repay their visit before Jim went to Turkey. He says now he may not go until the first of the year. I hope he doesn’t as we have to get some Christmas shopping done. Getting anything is such a production. I just dread it.

Mrs. B wished us a Happy Thanksgiving and asked what other traditional foods we ate today. Halloween and Thanksgiving are 2 Am holidays I guess.

We keep asking Kenny and MB what they are learning. Tonight Kenny asked me if I knew what a “bougie” meant? I said no and he told me it meant “candle.” Jim looked it up and by golly he was right. So I guess drop by drop he may be learning something. It is fun to hear him say the names of the children in the room. He uses the Fr. Pronunciation for Bertrand, Odile, Marie, Jo Ann, Jacques. “Kenny” apparently is not an easy name for Fr. Speaking people to get. He says the teacher calls him “Teddy” and the children call him “Denny.”

Well Jim has just come in with that big fat Sunday paper so I will dig right in it with him. It is so much fun to read it.

You should have heard P telling Jim tonight how the little girl today took all her toys away from her. She can really express herself well. “Baby take my Lola, Baby take my Lambie, Baby take my Dolly.” She was still very indignant!

Well Goodnight until tomorrow,
Love
Jim and Dina

No comments: